Monday, September 16, 2013
Sunday, September 1, 2013
Friday, August 30, 2013
Friday, August 23, 2013
Here is a little about our time living in Virginia Beach combined with a little "life lately" update of the past 3 months we spent there. We were not there long, but we managed to come out with some great memories.
I love knowing that our church is the same all over the world! That is one place of people I know I can rely on. My first Sunday there, I went to my usual classes and the kids loved going to nursery. I tried to keep to myself, because after all, our stay there was so temporary. Towards the end of church I went into the bathroom and just cried. I cried because even though i didn't want to make friends, friendships were already being made. everyone was extremely welcoming and nice to me even though they knew I wouldn't be staying long, they genuinely wanted to get to know me and be my friend. We were invited to dinner a few times, to the water park, and to the zoo. I made some life long friends here and so did Chris. One of his friends lent us his car the whole time he was in training so that we could go out as a family whenever we had the chance and when he left VA, my friend from church lent us her car.
We loved our home there. even though most of our things stayed in storage and the walls weren't fully decorated, it still felt like home. It was so nice sleeping next to Chris again and seeing him play with the kids. Home really is wherever your family is.
So here is what we've been up to for the past 3 months...
•walks to the beach •park days •searching for insects •splashing around in the pool •barbecuing •petting sting rays at the Aquarium •lots of baths •having dance parties in our pj's •observing animals at the zoo •buying slurpees often •dining out •making weekly trips to the commissary •and just enjoying our time together as a family
Monday, August 19, 2013
So...here is a little on what has been going on with us for the past, oh, 5ish months. And just for me to look back and remember the hard times we've over come.
Ok so, as you may know, we left Stafford, VA and spend Christmas in California with our families. Chris was starting a new course in ground intelligence in Virginia Beach about 3.5 hours from Stafford. Since he wouldn't be making that long daily commute to Stafford each day, we decided that the kids and I would stay in Cali with family for 4 months until he finished his course. I thought things would be easier for me considering I had all my family around, but it wasn't. I tried to keep busy but I was so depressed and hated every day I spent apart from Chris.
3 months into his course, he and 5 other marines in his class got reassigned to a new intelligence course, Air Intel. Chris was extremely discouraged about it especially since he had successfully completed the Infantry Officers Course right before that. This all meant that he would be in Virginia Beach for another 3 or 4 months finishing this class and more time apart from his family. We could not handle being apart any longer, so the kids and I flew out to VB in May to be with him.
We got there in early May and stayed in his hotel room for about 2 or 3 days until our apartment was ready to move into. We are staying in a nice place in a good area, walking distance from the beach. I was happy to be doing my own thing again with my family the way we wanted to do things. I was in the middle of my second trimester and I was feeling great.
Chris would leave for work around 5:30 am and would usually get home around 10 pm. He usually had to go into work on the weekends as well. So that meant it was just me taking care of the kids by myself, which really wasn't hard for me considering i was already used to being apart from him and doing things on my own...but my growing belly was making it harder for me to keep up. Oh, and did I mention I didn't have a car the whole time we were here in Virginia Beach. We walked to the park and beach a few times, but the hotter it got, and the bigger my belly got, the less we went anywhere and we ended up just finding ways to entertain each other at home...eventually I entered survival mode, just waiting for him to finish this class.
About a month and a half into his course, we were given another surprise.... Our duty station changed from Okinawa, Japan to Camp Pendleton, CA and we could not be happier about the change. We were really looking forward to living in a new country, but nothing beats being close to family when you've got kids. All I could think of was my children having their grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins to play with and build a real relationship with them! And to add to that blessing, Chris was assigned a ground unit which is what he really wanted over and air unit.
Chris graduated from AIOC on August 9th and our "plan" was to fly out to Cali on the 10th. Well as you know, you can never fully rely on you "plan" when you're in the military. So it is now August 19th (Monday) and the the packing people were supposed to come today but changed it to tomorrow without telling us. Then Wednesday the shipping people are coming to load all of our stuff to take to a storage unit in Pendleton. We'll stay in a hotel that night then hire a taxi to take us to the airport Thursday morning at 4:45. Thankfully we have family in Southern California because we have no idea where we're going to live. So once again our "plan" is to live at my mom's old house for hopefully less than a month while we look for a place to rent near Oceanside then find a home to buy in Temecula somewhere. Yep, that's 5 moves in one year alone! But I'd rather just skip the whole stressful buying a home step, and settle into a little place by the beach. I forgot to mention, I'll be having a baby right when we get to CA if I don't happen to deliver on the airplane!
There it is, a little update on what's been going on with us... It's amazing that we've been able to make great friends and great memories in the short amount of time we've lived here, and I'll be sure to write another post about that later.
Thursday, August 15, 2013
- She is wearing mainly 18 month clothing and some 24 months and she just grew out of her size 4 shoes.
- We've been cloth diapering her since about May and she loves picking out which color and pattern diaper she wants to wear.
- She self weaned off of breast feeding at around 18 months old. I'm so happy she completely did it on her own!
- She's got 16 teeth in and we're just waiting for her back molars.
- Her hair is still really short but absolutely beautiful. She has beautiful golden brown hair with the greatest curls all over.
- She has been sleeping through the night for a while and even slept in until 8 am...then, something changed, and now she crawls into our bed around 6 am. Every night, and during naps, she goes to sleep with her baby, two large dolls her great grandma gave her, a cup of water, and her favorite "blanky" that her grandma Seymore made for her. (She really really has to sleep with all of that).
- She now naps at the same time Lincoln does but they don't last as long as his do.
- Ella loves a variety of food! Some of her favorites include broccoli (but only the florets), carrots, avocado, hummus, greek yogurt, cream cheese with bagels (not bagels with cream cheese), for that matter, she actually likes all kids of cheese! She loves eggs and almonds and all kids of fruit.
- And she's a talker! She talks so much and so clearly! She's got the cutest little lisp. She is so loud and demanding and tends to do a scary monster voice often. she counts so well and sings her ABC's.
- her favorite movie right now is Dumbo. She wants to watch it every single day.
- She's such a daredevil! She climbs up onto everything and jumps from couch to couch to ottoman to couch. She loves the pool and beach and never wants to get out of the water.
- Ella is such a mommy's helper! She helps me wipe down the table and windows. She helps pick up toys and always puts her dirty clothes in the hamper.
- She is the biggest girly girl by nature! She loves her baby dolls and always sings to them and rocks them to sleep. She changes her clothes like three times a day and she always chooses the frilliest skirts and twirls around saying she's a princess. She's a great dancer too!
- She is so squishy! She gives the tightest hugs and longest kisses (they're now closed mouth kisses) and the latest, "mugga-mugga" aka Eskimo kisses!